Sunday, October 31, 2010

Wisdom and Honey

Along with a diagnosis of Lyme disease, I found out that I am supposed to be: wheat free, dairy free and sugar free and of course I already have an inherited soy allergy.  We are doing ok on the first two with only occasional forays into sweets.  Since my mom has been cooking what used to be considered pretty hard core health food since I was around 9 months old, you wouldn't think that we would be having to re-learn how to cook...but alas so many things are all new.  Praise the Lord for wonderful blogs like http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/ and http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ that are helping us figure out how to make substitutions and still be able to enjoy varied and delicious food.

So tonight we wanted to have a special family evening and watch It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.  First, we had a dinner of a very tasty pizza (gluten free crust mix from Bob's Red Mill) and salad.  Then, for movie time the girls and I made (wheat free) maple cookies and we put cashew cream maple frosting on them to enjoy with some hot spiced cider.  Even though the sugar was cheating on the diet, the value of feeling almost like everyone else for a moment was worth it.  In "spoon" terms, I gave up some spoons in the effort to make the cookies and by eating sugar.  I know I gained back just as many, or more spoons from the positive experiences of 1) getting to do what I love: bake 2) splurging and eating something special and delicious and 3) making a wonderful memory with my daughters.

I obviously can't do this every day, but today at least it was the right thing to do.  This really is all about learning what helps and what hinders the healing process.  Above all, I need wisdom to know which is which.



Eat honey, my son, for it is good; 
 honey from the comb is sweet to your taste.
 Know also that wisdom is sweet to your soul;
       if you find it, there is a future hope for you,
       and your hope will not be cut off.
  Proverbs 24:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment